Sunday, November 4, 2007

I am sorry...(expectations)

Expectations suck. They screw everything up. At least high ones do.

I am sorry dad. I am sorry when you have such high expectations for me and I fail to follow through and complete them. You always tell me you are proud of me and what I do in school and sports and everything. And then you tell me to do something that sounds simple enough and I don't do it. When I don't completely finish what you do you get mad, and it seem slike all of that pride in me doesn't matter. You give up on me and to you I am a failure. You know I am sorry for being a teenager, and I am sorry that sometimes what you tell me to do I really don't want to do. I am sorry that my priorities are rather different than yours. I ask you to do something or even I ask you a question, and you are busy at the time or in a bad mood or something and just get mad that I am bothering. But then I am busy or I have something going on and then you tell me I have to do something. It doesn't matter what I am doing I have to do it or else you will get mad and even more disappointed in me. Maybe if you didn't have so high expectations or maybe if for once you would see things from my perspective things would be a little better. Now I am not saying I am perfect. I am far from it. But that is part of life. You can't just give up on me whenever I screw up. I am sorry.
-Andy

2 comments:

Phillip said...

That's a shame Andy, I'm sorry your dad is acting pretty irrationally it sounds like. I guess that's the just one of the strains of being older, he probably has a lot of responsibilities dangling over his head that he's stressed out about. Sometime when a person is really swamped it can be hard to take a moment to think about how your actions are being interperted, and not everyone does that in the first place. That doesn't vindicate his actions though. It doesn't matter how stressed a person is: no one has any right to take that out on somebody else. If you think your dad would listen to you, I think you should pull him aside and talk to him. If you don't think he will, the sad part is you'll probably have to go with the flow. You could butt heads, but let's face facts - he's holding more cards than you so it's kinda one-sided. Good luck with it though Andy, hopefully he's in a good mood next time you talk to him.

Patti said...

Andy, i know how that feels. and i agree with Phillip. Even though talking to parents about something real serious like that is hard, it's what has to happen sometimes. And i'm pretty much a hipocrit saying that since i'm sure it would clear up a bunch of things with my mom... I hope things get better. You're such a friggin awesome guy, Andy.


Gooooo Andy!