Friday, November 2, 2007

23

I don't know if you have ever heard the song 23 by the band Jimmy Eat World. Thanks to Mr. Matt Keeler, I started listening to that song. It is absolutely amazing. I don't know if you have every noticed those songs where you listen to them and you feel like you are in a movie but when I am listening to 23, and I am driving or in the passenger seat or even walking down the sidewalk, I feel like I am in a movie. I feel like something bigger is going on with me. Something that is going somewhere and what I am doing will actually matter when the future comes. Or it is a sign that something big will happen in the future and that moment is an opening scene with the credits. I don't know. Either way, I am not actually in a movie when I am listening to the song. It does put me in one of those moods though where I become sort of quiet. I am not sad, nor angry. I am just in one of those modes where the feeling of being in a movie, which based on the song would be a rather serious movie, and I am in one of those thinking modes. It makes me think about life. It makes me reflect on everything that is going on at the moment. I kind of like it. That feeling is rather relaxing.

It is kind of an interesting thing. Everyone I am sure sees some movie and wishes that their life went almost exactly like that movie. I know I have sure seen movies, and I would kill to be one of the characters in the story. I would love to have all those thing happen to me. I think there are a couple of reasons why I as well as probably everyone else has these desires. They are kind of sad and can tend to make life seem so hopeless but they are what they are. The first I think is the more obvious reason why people wish they were in a certain movie, and I think that is because the movies that people want to be in always have great, happy endings. Everyone wants a happy ending. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. It seems like nothing ever works out like it does in the movies. The second and more deeper reason I think people want movies to happen to them is that they show that something greater in a sense is at work. That probably doens't make sense, but I will explain it. If you notice in movies, everything the characters do matters to the story. Whether it will affect the next scene or it will affect the ending, everything matters. But this isn't so in real life I think. I walked home from school today, but that will have no affect on what I do tomorrow. So many things we do don't matter. And people want everything to matter I think, just like in the movies. It is kind of unfortunate how things turn out I think.

And I think people look for something in movies that they are looking for in everything they do: hope. If a character in a movie succeeds against great odds, so must I be able to. But unfortunately, a lot of times I believe it is a false hope. Movies are great. I love them. But I believe they can tend to make me and people in general think that they can do anything, when in reality they can't. I think that people should not search for hope in movies. Hope I believe comes from within. I believe that it is something you must discover for youself. People can tell you that you should be hopeful that things will work out, but you must find that hope and grasp it and hold onto it. That is what is really going to get you through your problems. If you have hope, not false hope like in movies, but hope that things will work out in the end, then they will. Maybe things won't work out exactly as you like them, and maybe the end is not what you were looking for in the beginning, but whatever end you do come upon, it will be good, as long as through it all, you find that hope and stick to it and keep your head up. Hope leads to believing and believing leads to knowing that things will work out.

(And I think I have written enough. Ha reading over that I felt like I poured out so much emotion, but people will read this and be like oh, that's cool I guess. Whatever...maybe not. I don't know.)
Talk to you later.
-Andy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy, I love it when you reflect on things because you come up with a lot of thoughts that I can relate to. It excites me. I completley understand what you mean by people want every moment to count. Sometimes though, isn't it funny that what your doing could very mean nothing or, maybe, everything. You could walk home from school, it could mean nothing, but you could get hit by a car and be paralyzed. Now, for the rest of your life, it means everything that you walked home from school. Just a thought. And it brings up a good point, you should do everything and take everything in to the fullest, eh. You never know when something is going to be inpactful. As for hope, I like your closing sentence. Hope leads to beleiving. I think you missed beleiving leads to faith. faith leads to good things. I don't know, I just think that theres a difference between faith and beleiving. Your the man Andy. Blog soon.

Phillip said...

I disagree with what you said about hope carrying people through Andy. I find that a person who hopes and hopes alone is doomed to fail, though I do agree hope can be a driving force for a person to accomplish in life. The belief you stated I think is the more integral part of the process, as without belief a job is done half-assed at best. As for Ryan's comment, I don't think faith plays much of a role necessarily. For it to be the catalyst to good events, we the non-believers would be beset with constant torment as we're promised in the next life by the devout.

I wholeheartedly agree with your belief that people want to be in movies or books. I admit it: when I was twelve or whatever I was sad for several months I didn't get a letter from Hogwarts. To this day I somewhat wish I was in the Matrix, and every now and then I think the Truman Show is entirely possible and I'm the only one not in on some perverse gag. Movies just always have such a clear sense of direction for the involved characters, it would be nice.